General Mental Health Resources
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): 1-800-950-6264, email@example.com. NAMI operates an emergency mental health hotline Monday–Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. Operators can provide information about mental illness and refer callers to treatment, support groups, family support, and legal support, if needed.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): (800) 662-4357. SAMHSA runs a 24-hour mental health hotline that provides education, support, and connections to treatment. It also offers an online Behavioral Health Treatment Locator to help you find suitable behavioral health treatment programs.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH): (866) 615-6464. This organization has a variety of methods for you to communicate with knowledgeable people about mental health issues. In addition to the phone line, there is a live online chat option. These resources are available Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
If you or someone you care about is having thoughts of suicide, call 911 for immediate help.
Some of the reputable 24-hour mental health hotlines that can provide you with support, education, and resources include:
- Mental Health America Hotline: Text MHA to 741741. Mental Health America is a nationwide organization that provides assistance through this text line. You will be linked to someone who can guide you through a crisis or just provide information.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. Crisis intervention and free emotional support are available, which is helpful when you need confidential assistance during a time of emotional distress for you or a loved one. The helpline is open 24/7, and a live online chat is available as well.
- Crisis Text Line: Text CONNECT to 741741. Specialized crisis counselors are just a text message away on this free, confidential 24-hour support line. To further protect your privacy, these messages do not appear on a phone bill. The text line also provides services and support if you are upset, scared, hurt, frustrated, or distressed.
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255. Text a message to 838255. Operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs, these services aid veterans and their families who may be in crisis by connecting them with VA responders.
Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Resources
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224. Text LOVEIS to 22522 or log onto thehotline.org. The Hotline® is a 24/7 center that has access to service providers and shelters across the U.S. to assist victims of domestic abuse. frustrated, or distressed.
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673). Log on to hotline.rainn.org/online. RAINN is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization. See their website for additional resources, such as the male victims hotline and the Spanish speakers’ hotline.